When we visited my son at Georgia Southern in Statesboro we were too late to get reservations at the in-town hotels (which had upped their rates for family weekend) so I checked to see if the local state park had any cottages available instead. George L. Smith State Park is only 30 minutes from the University so we took it.
I didn’t know what to expect. But, our family of 5 had plenty of room in a cabin that slept 8 and it was a way better experience than a local hotel we had tried later in the year.
The rooms and baths were cleaned and well maintained, the kitchen was immaculate (if somewhat dated) and overall the cottage was a 4 star experience for us. The cottage had Dish network, two beds in each of two bedrooms, a screened in porch and barbecue out back.
The best is probably best known for its renovated Parrish Mill and covered bridge and dam built in 1880. The 1634 acre park has a nice size lake with boat camp, 10 miles of water trails, 7 miles of hiking and biking trails and all back dropped by beautiful moss-draped cypress trees.
Phone: 478-763-2759 at 8 am – 5 pm
Campsite and Cottage Reservations: 1-800-864-7275
Address: 371 George L Smith State Park Road, Twin City, GA 30471
GPS Coordinates: N 32.5585600 and W -82.1193700
Located between Metter and Twin City off GA Hwy 23. Take I-16 Exit #104
- 25 Campsites
- 8 Cottages
- 4 Picnic Shelters
- 1 Group Shelter
- 1 Pioneer Camp
- 5 Primitive Campsites
ACCOMMODATIONS & FACILITIES:
- 1,634 Acres
- 8 Cottages ($125-$135) — #4 is dog friendly ($45 per dog, max 2)
- 25 Tent, Trailer, RV Campsites ($25-$28)
- 5 Primitive Campsites ($8 per person, call park for reservations)
- 412-Acre Lake
- Historic Covered Bridge and Mill
- 4 Picnic Shelters ($35)
- Group Shelter (seats 50, $125)
- Pioneer Campground ($40)
THINGS TO DO & SEE:
- Fishing – boat rentals
- Boating – boat ramp, 10 HP limit
- Pedal Boat Rental – (fee)
- Canoe and Kayak Rental – 10 miles of trails, Park Paddlers Club (Mill Pond Kayak outfitter is nearby)
- Walking and Biking – 7 miles of trails