Fashion Week San Diego (FWSD) returns this fall and for the first time will be held in affluent La Jolla, the “Jewel of San Diego,” on Oct. 1-4, 2015. One of the region’s signature annual events and a launching pad for emerging designers, FWSD will draw more than 20,000 trendsetters to this seaside community with multiple days of fashion, beauty and design events.
La Jolla, with its 7 miles of pristine beaches, turquoise coves and Mediterranean-style village, provides a picturesque setting for a stylish weekend vacation.
- La Valencia Hotel, the posh “Pink Lady of La Jolla,” hosts FWSD’s Art & Beauty Runway Show on Oct. 1, featuring celebrity hairstylist Ted Gibson and models transformed into living art pieces, and the FWSD Trunk Show & Fashion Awards on Oct. 4, where attendees can meet designers, shop collections straight off the runway and attend an awards show spotlighting San Diego’s top designers.
- FWSD Runway Shows continue on Oct. 2-3 on Wall Street in La Jolla Village (between Herschel and Girard Ave.) where guests can enjoy a fabulous outdoor, open-sky runway featuring 24 designers presenting gowns, avant-garde, ready to wear, couture, menswear and swimwear designs.
- The prestigious La Jolla Art & Wine Festival, held on Oct. 10-11 in La Jolla Village along Girard Ave. (between Prospect St. & Torrey Pines Rd.), showcases the works of more than 150 artists from San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Baja and beyond. Other highlights include roving entertainment, a gourmet marketplace, family art center and a wine and beer garden.
- La Valencia invites visitors to return on Nov. 19 for the 5th FWSD Viva La V Series, featuring an afternoon of alfresco dining by La Valencia Executive Chef James Montejano, champagne and a fashion showcase by 18-year-old designer Alexander Marie.
After a day admiring San Diego’s stunning artists and designers, visitors can rest their heads at La Jolla’s many fashionable hotels and resorts.
- The elegant La Valencia Hotel, located in the heart of La Jolla Village, has played host to well-heeled visitors, including Hollywood icons, since 1926.
- Also located in La Jolla Village, the boutique-style Grande Colonial Hotel has dazzled with splendid décor and historic charm since 1913.
- Overlooking the sparkling Pacific, the Balinese-inspired Pantai Inn exudes exotic warmth and luxury, and features detached cottages in addition to deluxe rooms.
- Located on the bluffs of Torrey Pines Golf Course, the grand Craftsman-style Lodge at Torrey Pines is the pinnacle of panache with a luxury spa, elegant décor and one of the region’s top restaurants.
- Also located on the Torrey Pines mesa, the Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa offers a sophisticated, California rancho-style ambiance.
- Along La Jolla Shores, experience the best in barefoot luxury at La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club, featuring one of Southern California’s few private beaches.
From designer apparel to home goods, visitors can find fashionably unique shopping experiences throughout La Jolla.
- Referred to locally as the “Rodeo Drive of San Diego,” shoppers flock to La Jolla’s Prospect Street, lined with clothing boutiques, jewelry stores, art galleries and more.
- The La Jolla Design & Art District along upper Girard Avenue features popular art galleries like the new Monarch Arredon Contemporary Art, Joseph Bellows Gallery of photographic art and Quint Contemporary Art, where visitors can view works by some of the biggest names in contemporary art.
- For cool fashion finds including Southern California chic women’s clothing and accessories, head to La Jolla’s charming Bird Rock area, featuring high-end boutique shops like Mimi & Red Boutique and Capricorn Boutique
- The newly opened La Plaza La Jolla captures La Jolla’s luxurious coastal lifestyle with an upscale selection of San Diego-based boutique retailers and dining options. The plaza’s eye-catching Spanish and Moroccan design add an international flair to La Jolla Village.
- Westfield UTC, La Jolla’s resort-inspired, open-air shopping destination, boasts more than 120 A-list shops, restaurants and entertainment venues, including several luxury brands like Nordstrom, Tiffany & Co., Anthropologie and Tesla Motors.
- Browse hip swimwear and surf clothing that reflect La Jolla’s quintessential coastal lifestyle at the new Surf Diva Boutique in La Jolla Shores. Nearby Everyday California sells stylish, one-of-a-kind beach apparel, inspired by and created in La Jolla.
See and be seen at La Jolla’s hottest new restaurants, promising diners a meal as memorable as the picture-postcard surroundings.
- A constellation of zesty and innovative Mexican flavors awaits diners at the new Galaxy Taco in La Jolla Shores, by Chef Trey Foshee who also helms La Jolla’s famed George’s at the Cove restaurant.
- At the new Catania, Executive Chef Vince Schofield serves seasonal Italian coastal cuisine from high atop La Plaza La Jolla, where people watching is always in style.
Rico Figliolini has published and owns blog sites related to travel and leisure, casting and entertainment news, parks and recreation and social media marketing. Traveling a weekend at a time with family and friends.